The best laid plans...

Can be easier to undo than to make.
I thought I'd live somewhere far more exotic than England to have a volcano interrupt my holiday making. This morning, my parents were due to join me in London to embark on a UK adventure for two weeks. A UK adventure that I had spent hours researching and booking (not to rub it in). I had planned to go to London to meet them, and since I had bought the ticket decided to go hoping that some miracle would bring them to me. Sadly, that was not the case, which left me last night apologetically cancelling reservations. All were understanding save one, so I guess that's not too bad.

I spent yesterday fretting about air travel and volcanoes but I didn't let it stop me from enjoying the greatest city on Earth. Determined to make the most of my non-vacation, I booked an extra night at the hostel and a late train home on Thursday. Though I was feeling sad, the usual sights didn't fail to lift my spirits; gleaming Westminster Abbey and parliament, ever-active Trafalgar square, and the great eye.
I wanted to go places I've never been so I headed for the first time into the national portrait gallery, which was what I expected it to be. Portraits. Some were interesting, Jane Austen, and two of the only known paintings of Shakespeare, but outside of that it was an entire museum of the rooms that I would normally fast forward through. From there I wandered to Covent Garden and was unimpressed by their market (sorry, blame it on my mood). But, I did enjoy the gift shop of the London transport museum, although surprisingly didn't buy anything. The museum itself costs too much. A nearby outdoor store had an indoor ice climbing wall which was pretty sweet, and then I basically wandered back to the hostel enjoying the signs of spring.
In the evening I officially knew my parents weren't coming and was feeling embarrassingly sorry for myself. Luckily, I brought some chocolate.

Comments

Emily said…
The greatest city on earth?! Hello, have you been to Walkersville lately?! GOD!

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs