Karaoke

Last night I was a witness to the singing sensation that is not sweeping the nation. At least not this one. Or the one I'm from. I found myself trolling Chinese restaraunts with a group of friends not in seach of food, but in search of an open karaoke room.
Karaoke is a word that strikes fear in the hearts of most westerners, myself included. The last time I was even close to participating was in a smoky bar full of peer pressure and a sleazy DJ queuing up songs ready to make us wish we were born deaf.
I had no idea that the Eastern definition is quite different. We found a place and headed up the stairs into a hallway full of numbered doors. For a terrible moment I felt like I was entering the private "entertainment" rooms in the back of shady gentlemens clubs. But instead of a pole, the room had cushy booths, a large TV connected to speakers, and even a tiny stage. A clever computer program allowed us to play the DJ, choosing from a strange assortment of popular (and ancient) English songs and a wide variety of Chinese pop that I never knew existed.
This method of karaoke far exceeded my expectations and was more fun than what I was used to, which was any at all. Here you only embarass yourself in front of friends, and if it turns out that if you can't sing the song you've chosen, you just skip to the next one. Most of the songs I didn't know, but I did contribute maybe a single English word in the middle of a Chinese ballad. (something, something, something....BABY!)
Not only does karaoke not scare Easterners, it elates them. With wild abandon they passionately find the high notes, play a hot riff on the air guitar, and for a moment they are rock stars. And I guess that was the point all along. I think we've been missing out, taking karaoke for what it seems, a beer fueled road to public embarrasment. So, if you get the chance for some real karaoke, go for it; if the setting is right you won't even need to bring rotten tomatoes or cattle prods.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs