30 Pearls

I started this post back in last summer. I finally dreamed up the last couple while cleaning out my drafts. I'm cleaning out my draft posts because I am nearing a blogger milestone, so I want to be perfectly clear how many posts I have. Yes, I acknowledge that at least 30 per year for the last 6 years were basically cheating (the photo a day project) But...they count as posts. Anyway. Apparently I was feeling pumped about life and wondering what I might have told my 15 year old self. Here are a few things I've learned in 30 years...at least the things that look good on paper.

As I turn 30, I must say I'm feeling pretty good.  29 had a much more palpable and depressive effect on me.  But this year, I've had such an action packed birthday week, that I haven't had time to contemplate too deeply turning 30.  I've wanted to be an adult my whole life, so I don't really mind.  That and I get to say things like "I've seen Toy Story way too many times for a 30 year old woman."  "I bet those nerds on xbox live can't believe they just got schooled by a 30 year old woman."  "And IIIIII'Mmmm 30!"  a la Molly Shannon.  Something about 'milestone' birthdays can make one introspective and inexplicably terrified. 
In an ambitious thought I wanted to list 30 things I'd learned since birth that I try to live by.  Doing this without getting preachy is difficult, but if you can muddle through the list, I salute you!

1.  As best you can, be fearless.

2.  At the very least, don't let your fears decide anything for you. 

3.  Almost anything can be fun.

4.  All time will pass:  good and bad. 

5.  Be comfortable:  heels are for overachievers. 

6.  Never stop learning.

7.  Don't forget chapstick.

8.  Be prepared.

9.  Stay in touch with the good friends.

10.  Do something that scares you...every once in a while.

11.  Book those tickets

12.  Keep making goals.  Goals are what make the world go 'round.

13.  You know, that dude back in 1999 was right about the sunscreen. 

14.  Do the job you love.  Love it until the drunk people aren't funny anymore.

15.  Don't complain about things that are within your power to change. 

16.  Improvise. 

17.  Floss.  But, like me, you probably won't see the light on this one until it's a little too late. 

18.  Wear clean underwear, but not because you might meet a paramedic.  Trust me, we aren't looking. 

19.  Talk to your elders and write down their stories before they're lost forever.

20.  Travel.  Travel because it inspires you, travel because it scares you.  Travel because the world is waiting.

21.  If you want to be something- go be it.

22.  Nothing beats a trial like a failure. 

23.  Really try to be sure you're doing what's important as opposed to what's selfish. 

24.  But remember that some mundane things are important too.

25.  All advice is contradictory.

26.  You don't need to be in a relationship to be a functioning member of society.  Don't let your friends with spouses convince you otherwise. (they won't on purpose, but still.).

27.  You don't need children to feel self worth.  Don't let your friends with babies convince you otherwise (they won't on purpose, but still.)

28.  Grammar is important, and yes, I know I put the periods in the wrong place on those last two. 

29.  Stolen, but, Live as if this is all there is. 

30.  Fake it 'till you make it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs