Reunion

I think it may be safe to say that a class reunion is one of the more strange social situations one can encounter. It is an evening full of seeing people who look vaguely familiar and, in my case, completely blanking on their name. I really should have reviewed the yearbook before I came. But instead, I went with my closest friend from high school and we relied on eachother to ID people. And a number of the people we came up empty on. I guess that's typical after ten years and hundreds of classmates. But you can't help feeling like a jerk when someone shouts "OMG, Ellie, how are you?!" after you spent five whole minutes sitting in the corner trying to remember their name.

The whole thing brought me back and I should have panicked about what to wear far sooner than I did. As I went to my fallback stores and found nothing, I began to realize that I am as in touch with fashion and trends now as I was ten years ago. I felt just as lost choosing what to wear to every event that took place back in the day. I was saved when, I found a dress for $14 and everything worked out okay. I was not over or under dressed and now I have something to wear to any future job interviews (if there ever are any).

That was another realization. If I ever did get a job in an office type setting, where I have to go to work like, five times a week (?!) I will have a total shopping breakdown. Way back in the day I ranted about shopping here. Let's just say it is one of my least favorite activities ever. But I digress.

The reunion was a lot of fun. It was cool to actually get to see people instead of catching up in the weird facebook way. Facebook has added another dimension of oddness to the whole thing. I knew peoples significant others because I had seen pictures of them online. I knew all the answers to the typical reunionesque questions thanks to facebook stalking. Someone told me that they read my blog, which is fantastic (by the way) but there is technology nearly eliminating the need to actually catch up. I'm proud of our class, and though I am not the first person in history to realize how weird it is to see people I've known since first grade grown up, parents, homeowners, and contributing members of society, that does not make it any less weird.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs