Nobody wants help

I've had a frustrating string of patients who, at the end of the day, called 911, but didn't really want our help. Especially where IVs are concerned. I mean, nobody really wants an IV, but I figure it's standard issue for most patients. One guy said he wasn't sure but I assured him that if I didn't give him I'd look like a slacker. In hindsight, it all sounds like I'm forcing these patients to take treatment they don't want. They want treatment, but they were all acting so aloof about recieving it from me.
One lady insisted on shouting "You won't find it, you won't find it!" while wriggling around like a fool when I went to start her IV. Well, I'm glad you believe in me, and I certainly won't if that's all the faith you have.
Another lady really just wanted a ride to the hospital I guess.
"I'd like to give you these chewable aspirin, is that okay?"
"Do you have any water?"
"No, but they're chewable."
"Well...no thanks."
...and later...
"I'm going to give you this spray of medicine under you tongue, hopefully it will help to relieve your pain."
"Really, can't you just wait until we get to the hospital?"
"If I did that, ma'am, my job would be obsolete."

Everyone is wanting to wait to get to the hospital.
"I'm going to start an IV in case you need any medicines or fluids."
"Do you have to? Can't we wait until we're at the hospital"
*exhasperated sigh*

Comments

Brad said…
I've gotten to a point where I ask '... then why did you call 911?' and the most popular answer I've received is 'I didn't know what else to do' I get frustrated. I've only been doing this 7 months, how do you deal with these patients?

~Brad
@EMTGoose

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs