Maybe it's a British Thing Pt. 8

I really want to get maybe, 1000 of my closest friends together and put them in a queue to nowhere through an English city center. I just want to see if people will join a random line with no discernible beginning or destination. Every few minutes, the person at the 'front' could move up a few steps, and all will follow, but really they are waiting for nothing. I hypothesise that this would work. People would join the queue, then feel too silly after a few minutes to ask just what they were queuing for. How long could that go on? UK sociologists: a challenge.
But the British queuing thing is true, and most Brits will admit to it. It makes things very orderly, which I enjoy. It is mostly clearly seen at the cash machine where everyone is very respectful of PIN protection. I have only seen queue confusion at the market where the politeness will make anyone crazy with unending 'You go' 'No, you go.' 'Really, you were here first.' 'Are you sure?' etc.
Queuing at the pub is yet another art lost on me. This is another place where the queue isn't totally clear and I have a knack for not getting noticed. It seems that at the pub is the only time that Britons are oblivious to each other in a queue. It becomes more of a mass and people just want their beers. “Oh no, don't mind me. I just enjoy standing here, looking expectantly at the taps and dying of thirst. You go ahead. It looks like your need is greater.” In true British fashion, I am reluctant to be pushy and merely sigh loudly and clear my throat when someone threatens to get in front of me.
Getting in lines seems like a very quirky cultural characteristic. Why do they form queues, how did it become a thing? Maybe it's something to do with all those bleak years of rationing. Thank God there's plenty of chocolate to go around these days.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs