Eastertide

It has been a strange holy week for me. At one point I nearly quit lent altogether out of frustration with God, but that's someone elses story (sorry to be cryptic). On Wednesday, my Bible study group had an infomal Seder meal, which I hadn't done in many years. It was fun, and I ate a radish!
Last night I watched Chocolat, my favorite lenten movie. Yes, because it's about chocolate, and yes, because Johnny Depp plays an Irish gypsy.
Today I got up at 5 for the sunrise service, in the hopes that it would renew me. It was not at all what I expected, as more than five people showed up. In actuality almost 300 people were there before dawn in the cathedral ruins to celebrate Easter. The service was also not what I expected, as it lasted more than five minutes. In fact, it was about two hours later when we finished, and I was filled with shock and horror to learn that it was still only 7:30 in the morning. The service was very elaborate, and included incense, playing with fire, party poppers, baptism, confirmation, and communion! Whew! At one point we were encouraged to cheer, clap, set off our party poppers and celebrate the resurection "without restraint."
All in all it was a very nice service and very much not what I expected. There was even a post-church cooked breakfast that was more than welcome.
When I got home, I realized it was still only 10am, and despite the coffee, I still feel in need of a nap. I opened my package from E. Bunny, filled with the joys of an American Easter: Mary Sue Easter eggs (which I think is just a Maryland thing) Marshmallow Peeps, jelly bellys, and other easter staples. Oh! and orange flavored Cadbury cream eggs which I have not even seen for sale here. As for the rest of the day, I think a nap may be in order, and then I have no reason not to continue writing my paper.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I have some stale peeps to eat. Happy Easter.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs