13th October

I had my first training with St John ambulance this evening. Because it would cost about $600 dollars for the UK Health Professions Council to "appraise my prior learning" as a paramedic, I am biting the bullet, and sitting through SJA's basic courses. It's only a few hours, and really wasn't as torturous as I thought it would be. Though next week I know I will have a hard time not telling everyone to "push a little harder" while doing CPR.
Tonight we did the basics of dealing with an unconscious patient and some bleeding control. It was only two hours, and I wasn't too bored. They use DRABC: Danger, Responsivness, Airway, Breathing, Circulation. They like to call it "Dr. ABC" but I prefer Drab C. I'm still partial to scene safety/BSI, AVPU, and ABCs, but this gets the job done for the lay person pretty easily. Plus, a tap on the shoulder is not nearly as much fun as a sternal rub. Oh well.
Oh, and this country, or at least the under 25 crowd don't get the "I've fallen and I can't get up" joke. We watched a little video, I think it was on how to make tea, when of course someone ended up on the floor.
Instructor: "So, what's happened to him?"
Student: "He's fallen over."
Me: "...and he can't get up." giggles to self.
Nobody: got that but me.

Comments

Anonymous said…
They're making you sit through the basic courses?

You've got my personal email address, get in touch, and I'll see if I can help you bypass that!
Unknown said…
Good grief - I think I'd go out of my mind.

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs