Multi-sport weekend

On Friday I took ACLS refresher. It was unrelated to the rest of the weekend. When I got home in the afternoon I rode the bike about 14 miles and up two of my greatest nemesis hills.
On Saturday I slept in and in the afternoon C and I kayaked about 10 miles. It doesn't seem like much, but it is a long way in a kayak. In fact, I hadn't done that much in one session in probably two years. It was a beautiful day for it. We had been following a canoe of three people and a little trolling motor. They headed back to the put in about 10 minutes before we did and we arrived back right before they did. This was a great source of consternation and amusement for all of us. It felt awesome, and afterward we had a very nice and unexpected dinner with some old friends.
On Sunday we got up early and drove to Shenandoah National Park. We hiked the 8.8 mile loop to the summit of Old Rag (3291 feet) which includes a "strenuous rock scramble" to get to the top. Of course, he failed to mention that part while we were in the planning stages. The trail started out innocently enough with rocky dirt trails and lovely switchbacks. Then it became more rocky, then the dirt gave way completely to boulders. It was fun, and strenuous, and made me quite nervous, but I kept on trucking and made it to the top among tens of other crazy people. We had a great lunch complete with surprise sparkling cider!
Although it was tricky, and not my kind of trail, the views were spectacular and well worth the hike/climb. It was the most clear views I'd ever seen in Shenandoah. Getting back down was much easier in that I never once feared for my life, but it was all downhill.
Yesterday at work I couldn't gracefully sit in chairs, I had to just fall into them as my quads were completely rebelling. Climbing down stairs was also amusing to watch, I'm sure.
Today I wasn't completely healed but did 12 miles on the bike because I'm a glutton for punishment!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs