Lost Dog

After a series of unexciting cancellations, we went for a call for a lady who had gone unresponsive while on the phone with 911. Like so many other calls, this had potential. We arrived on the heels of the ambulance expecting the need to bust down a door or two. (any excuse will do) Luckily (for the door) it was unlocked and we easily gained access. We were greeted by the melodious yap of a smallish dog. The dog was more annoying and friendly than a safety concern for me. I am not a fan of dogs on scene, controlled or otherwise.
Our patient laying in bed and was not unconscious (in the medically problematic sense of the word) but rather asleep. "Hello! What's going on!" I greeted her warmly as my partner pressed his knuckles into her sternum.
"OH, hi!" I said, pleased with her groggy response. The dog stood on her and yapped. She explained that she had a migraine, and now was very tired. I became confused. This prompted a 911 call? "Does this feel different than tiredness you feel when you've had migraines in the past?" I was displeased with her answer of "No." The mood of the call was now far more casual. The BLS crew had readied the cot outside and we squeezed four people into her tiny bedroom to help her get up and outside.
My partner petted her yappy dog, explaining that he just loved dogs. It was kind of cute. I led the patient down her narrow hallway as she was squeezing her eyes shut.
As I held the outside door open for her to pass, I saw the dog race past me and into the yard. It looked back expectantly, ready to play. I sighed.
"Grab him!" my partner yelled futility. I took one step toward it and off it went, circling the house. As the BLS crew got the patient settled on the cot and into the ambulance, my partner and I found ourselves chasing this dog we didn't know around the house, and unsuccessfully into the door. I went back in and found its treats. With that silly sing-song voice people reserve for when talking to babies and puppies I called the dog and shook the bag of treats. It was all I had. After twenty minutes, with the ambulance and patient long gone, we gave up. It was a warm day, and I had a feeling the patient would be home in a matter of hours.
I felt bad leaving it. I put a couple of treats on the porch, hopefully to entice it to wait there for its master. I love my job.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Love the sign - are they standard issue???

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs