9/11

Seven years ago I wondered how long it would take for 9/11 to be dramatized on TV or film. Five years ago I wondered if it had been long enough. “Flight 93” and “World Trade Center” together grossed over 100 million dollars. Only one million of that was donated- to build a memorial.

Were these movies made in case we had forgotten? Because I have not forgotten. I have not forgotten how vulnerable and afraid I felt. I have not forgotten the whine of firefighter motion detectors going off in vain, I have not forgotten the frantic faces of people as they searched the dusty crowds for their loved ones.

But I have also not forgotten how truly unified I felt with my neighbors. For awhile we were all friends, we saw ourselves in each other. It was practically utopian. Even I, who am not particularly patriotic, felt of one mind with the citizens of this nation.

I remember television being suspended for days. I remember Dan Rather crying on Letterman. I remember pausing to watch every plane as it flew over my head.
I remember hearing, “Osama dead or alive” and seven years later I don’t remember him ever showing up.


But maybe we do need reminding. All memories will inevitably fade, as humans we have short attention spans and short memories. We should remember as we are poised to elect a new leader for this nation. We should remember because those responsible still roam free.

I still see faded "United We Stand" stickers on cars but I think we’ve forgotten what we’re standing for. Because the president puts a wreath on ground zero we're supposed to feel safe and comforted? I do not because I know that the 9/11 death toll is still rising. My brothers and sisters who toiled for hundreds of days hoping to find a single survivor are dying from materials they inhaled on ground zero. Rare types of lung diseases, asthma, and cancers plague them. Dedicated firefighters who have been forced into retirement from the job they loved. Paramedics lost in debt because by some insane stretch of the imagination they are not covered by workers comp as they suffer with debilitating respiratory problems. Our heroes should not have to describe themselves as “ticking time bombs” or “the walking dead;” they should not be let down by this country.

Maybe they could use some of that 100 million.


(a new and improved version of the original from 06)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs