Updates and other stuff

So, apparently it is possible to be shot through the head and survive. I have heard that my patient is still intubated, but is following commands, which lead them to believe that he will eventually not have a terrible neurological deficiency. And by terrible neurological deficiency, I mean be dead. So, yay! Another life saved, almost for real this time.

(Full time) work has been work like, with basically almost no patients that stand out in my mind. The white cloud has officially caught up with me.

We had a two week old with nothing wrong with it, but an overly worried mother, whom I can't blame at all for being worried. Another patient had nothing wrong with him, except that he woke up with a sore throat that had since resolved itself. 911 is no longer an emergency number apparently.

In the interesting call category, today we had a guy with major sepsis, so much that his temperature was 105 and he was literally red hot. Ew.

Yesterday at (part time) work, I had a lady who was having petit mal seizures. She was getting treatment for a brain tumor, and started with seizures in her arms a day earlier. When I got there they were in her face, and she was barely responsive to me. I gave her some Valium, that stopped the seizure, perked her up a little, but unfortunately, didn't get rid of her growing brain tumor.

Then we had a patient who was in a doctors office so close to the hospital that we got our bags and a monitor out of our truck and literally walked to the call. The nurses there, bless them, were a little excited. Our patient was sitting up looking well, complaining only of feeling very hot. One nurse flashed a 12 lead at me, which definitely got my attention. The following pictures are from our own monitor.

She was in a strange tachycardic rhythm that now with the visuals makes describing it superfluous. Every few seconds she would go into a more obvious sinus rhythm, and then back to this wide crap. The patient felt the same either way. We did a 12 lead which looked equally ugly and decided to try some adenosine. I've given it one other time in "Drug Box Awesomeness" with great results.
















I got it ready and pushed it on this lady as we watched the monitor with great interest. Her 150 bpm heart rate went to a sinus-esque 30 bpm. Thankfully, it didn't go any slower than that, instead, the wide wacky rhythm returned. We couldn't justify staying on scene any longer given that we were literally a ten second drive to the ER doors. So off we went with the patient largely unchanged.

Oh well, it was still a lot of fun.

I have fixed a few typos from older entries. I swear I can spell and I'm not too bad at grammar either. (She writes in a sentence of questionable grammatical correctness.)

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hrm I'm seeing a saw tooth or at least fibrillatory pattern on the isoelectric line during the adenosine pause. A-fib with RVR? I wonder if you have a twelve lead?
Ellie said…
Those flutter waves did weird me out a bit. I don't have the 12 lead, but when I took it, it was all that wide wacky rhythm so I couldn't tell much from it. Oddly conducted a-fib with RVR perhaps?

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs