IV woes

You are mad, you need an IV, and unfortunately you are 9 months old. The nurse asked me to take a look. A tight tourniquet around your arm, and my fingers become my eyes. I feel a tiny vessel in your AC. I can't see it, but I know it's there. Three of us are holding you down. You are angry and crying, and squirming. I take a literal stab at it and amazingly, a flash! You have surprising strength and are wriggling like crazy. It is so crucial that you stay still at this second. You give a few sharp pulls as I attempt to stabilize the catheter. My partner attaches the lock as I hold your arm as firmly and gently as I can. Wriggle, wriggle, wriggle. I push the plunger on the flush and the vein is blown. Damn! The most honest damn I have ever uttered.
Back to square one and you are still mad.
One look in your sad face and my anger is gone.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs