Respect

It's a sad thing when I lose respect for someone. It has happened more times that I would like. In the real world I've learned that you don't need a swastika tattoo to lose my respect. On a related note, I hate bigots and their existence.


I'm new at work so I'm not ready to rock the boat, so to speak. I usually stay pretty quiet until I get to know people or a subject comes up that interests me. Even when people point out my quietness, they are usually the most talkative person in the room, and I say, yep, I just don't have anything to say. But I digress.


A, um, (co-worker, person, acquaintance) of mine, whom I liked, said the 'N' word in front of me, in a sort of conversational way. I'm not sure which disturbed me more, the fact that she said it, or the fact that she said it so easily, as if she either gave no consideration to me, or believed that I wouldn't mind. I will reiterate here that I'm not one to rock the boat, and note that I have only been offended only once in my life so much that it led me to take action. (surprisingly, not at a firehouse)
I really wasn't sure what to do with this. I didn't say anything to her, nor anyone else. Of course, she is a person well liked by everyone else, and as a newbie (or an oldie) I don't want to be the one who gets her in trouble. What a world we live in.

I feel ashamed that I played it safe and did nothing in order to maintain a friendly status with my colleagues. Should have I sucked it up, written her up, and risk remaining quiet at work for the rest of my employment?

I don't know sometimes and it makes me sick.

Comments

Anonymous said…
in the past when that has happened, ive let it go the first time, but if theyve said something similar again i just say i dont appricate that kind of language and could you please not use it around me. it usually works

-m

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs