Rx

I've had a few calls lately of people taking meds that weren't theirs, taking too much of their own, or being just plain neglectful with their meds.

We had a guy who couldn't sleep so he took one of his moms rx antidepressants. He slept for 5 hours and when he woke up around noon he felt dizzy and lightheaded. He was 30 years old. No excuse for taking drugs that weren't his and even admitted to me that he took one of his moms valiums last week, but nothing bad happened. Stop taking medicine that is not prescribed to you.

Later we had a kid who got into and took three of his grandmothers clonozipam pills. He was pretty drowsy when we got there even though it had only been about 20 minutes since he took them. He was 20 months old. No excuse for leaving drugs around accessable for children. IV fluids, EKG, oxygen and to the hospital he went.

A few days later I took a lady who "accidentially" took 30 5mg valiums. Oops. She even called the pharmacist afterwards because (as the story goes) she didn't think they were working and maybe there was something she was doing wrong. Yeah. Taking the whole bottle.
When we go there she wasn't told she was being transferred to a mental health facility so when I arrived it was a surprise, and not the good kind.
"Hi, I'm Ellie, we're here to take you to that place"
"You're taking me away?!"
"Yes. No, I mean, yes, but not like that" (not with the handcuffs and straight jackets and guys in white scrubs.)
At this she burst into tears. I hate when that happens. I calmed her down and explained to the best of my knowledge what was going on. I was pretty mad that the nurse hadn't told her all this.

What even happened to child proof prescription bottles? The ones that 20 month olds, suicidal people, and idiot 30 year olds can't get into?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs