Big Stick

Random thought of the day:
When I was in London, I heard them say ‘sharp scratch’ before they stuck someone with a needle. I thought to myself, that doesn’t make any sense. I mean, if getting an IV felt at all like being scratched by a cat, maybe it would make sense. If getting an IV involved merely scraping the needle against a persons skin, rather than sticking it in, I could justify using the phrase.

Then, I thought about what I say before starting an IV which is usually “big stick.” Upon further evaluation, I have decided that this doesn’t make any sense either. If it was like, ‘look out, there is a big stick about to fall on your head!’ then maybe it would make sense. If IV catheters were anywhere close to being the size of a big stick, rather than barely the diameter of a small twig, I could justify using the phrase.
I think a more appropriate use would be shouting “Big Stick!” right before whacking you on the head with my cudgel.
Thanks to wikipedia, I have learned that Teddy Roosevelt used what he called ‘big stick diplomacy’ as a campaign platform. By this he meant that America could be more, um, forceful with foreign policy and more often enlighten our neighbors to the wonders of democracy. This he developed from the saying "Speak softly and carry a big stick." Again, almost no connection at all to needles.

I digress.

If anyone reads this, I’m curious as to what you tell your patients right before stabbing them with a 16 gauge (and where you’re from, as maybe this influences things somehow). Thanks.

Comments

Anonymous said…
i dont tell my patients anything, being as i dont have to stick anyone with a big needle....
Anonymous said…
I say big stick. But I say it even for a 24G! Haha!
Jen said…
"Little poke" regardless of needle size. Nobody said I had to be honest, did they?
PFRussell said…
I tell them 'this is going to hurt.'
Anonymous said…
From Minnesota.

I say, "I am going to put in an IV. Here we go."

Most people understand what is going on when you come at them with an 18g catheter. :)
PDXMedic said…
I was once told, "If you tell them there will be a little prick, the only little prick is you."

I usually say "big poke" or something of the like. On one recent, memorable occasion, before sticking a sniffly teenager from juvie with a 20 in the hand, I told him (while he stared at the needle) that I understood him not liking needles, but if he flinched he would get poked a second time, so he'd better hold still. He held still. And cried. Sixteen year olds, sheesh.

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs