Solving Problems

The other night I went out with my roommate and some of her friends from around here. One asked me if I had I saved many lives yet. No, but I have solved a lot of problems.

Last week we spent 40 minutes on scene trying to be good humanitarians and enjoy the social work aspect of this job. A lady had back pain, got a prescription for said pain, took a few, prescription is subsequently stolen by supposed junkie. Lady’s back pain is now worse, calls 911, we show up.
Well, I started with calling the pharmacy because she couldn’t remember the name of the drug. Yep, it's a controlled substance. Then, we call the police department and walk her through making a report. We were on hold awhile. In the meantime, my partner gets her a coke and she has a cigarette. Finally, I call her doctor, who wants her transported anyway as this is not the first time this has happened. So, we end up transporting after all.
When we got to hospital, I waste even more time having to justify my long on scene time to the supervisor. Oh my God, trying to help people without having to take them to the hospital?! Not every call requires medical care? What a far out concept, and it almost worked this time.

Our night started with a kid who fell off of a jungle gym. Why do IVs always make kids cry!? Some other notable times I've made kids cry: an asthma attack, a pedestrian v. car (but she was screaming her head off anyway), when I punched that clown in the face, and when I informed that kid of the harsh reality that teletubbies aren’t real.
In the middle of the night we had an assault. The patient had a chipped tooth and wasn’t sure what to do. Call your dentist in the morning, we advise, they’ll set it right.
In the morning, there was a power outage. Lady is on oxygen all the time, and the concentrator needs power, lady calls 911, some of our colleagues show up. They plug the oxygen line straight into the tank, turn handle counterclockwise, problem solved.
Lady realizes that her nebulizer runs on electricity, calls 911 again, we show up. We give her a neb, show her how to plug it directly into the tank, perform miracle to bring power back on, problem solved.

Today was spent doing BLS transfers and having my first experience with the wheelchair van. Yes, they must have been in dire straights to take a double medic crew off of their critical care ambulance in order to complete a semi-long distance wheelchair call. Such excitement I have never known. Ooh, you can cut that sarcasm with a knife!
One patient who broke her femur in a car accident and was headed to rehab asked me for a cigarette. I decided not to inform her that this was a perfect time to quit.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Why do IVs always make kids cry!?

Cause it hurts!

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs