3 calls, 4 pts, 1 transport.

Pretty simple day today, a highway fender-bender, ‘trouble breathing’, and syncope.

Trying to find the accident was fun (having the right exit number helps), but once we found it, it turned out to be not a huge deal, thankfully. My patient was very ready to get rid of us.

me: “We’d just like you to sign this…”
patient: “…so I won't sue you for injuries I may have, or may develop as a result of the accident, blah, blah, blah, I know.”
me: (taken aback) “um, basically, yeah.”

I had a student for a while again today. We had a slightly more interesting call than last week. Like many EMT students, she has been disillusioned about EMS, and is finding big discrepancies between the classroom and the street. It’s hard to explain to her, given that I’ve only recently gotten over this myself. Not all patients are straight forward, none have read the textbook, and I can’t base my treatment on one vital sign.
For example, she popped the pulse ox on the pts. finger, got a reading of 93%, and took it off. I could tell that she was concerned by this, and even voiced it to me. I had to later explain maybe a few seconds’ more time on would have given a higher reading, to treat the pt. and not the reading, and that not all readings below 98% give me a reason to worry.

me: “Did you actually black out?”
wife: “He did.”
husband: (indignant groan)
wife: “…and then he threw up”
husband: “I did not!”
everyone: (uncomfortable silence)
me: “Would you like to go to the hospital?”
husband: “No.”
wife: “Well, see how you feel when you stand up”
husband: “Fine!” (stands up quickly)
wife: “Go sit in your chair in the den.”
husband: (proceeds to walk briskly through the house an around said chair in dramatic fashion)
wife: “What are you doing?”
husband: “You wanted me to walk around!”
wife: (worriedly whimpers and wrings hands)
husband: (is fine)
what would have been a more hilarious turn of events: (pt. then actually faints and/or throws up)
next thing you know: (we’re back in service)

Co-worker quote of the day: “So, you have a degree in paramedical studies or something?” Yes, with a minor in nameology.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hiya. I've been reading your blog for just over a month now on my RSS feeder. Its really good. It gives me something to look forward to when I qualify.
Anonymous said…
:-)

~m
Anonymous said…
Well I'm glad one person commented... I was getting tired of the few entries without anyone else commenting. Plus - contact me for typo information! :o)

Anyhoo, always a pleasure to read your mini novels!
Anonymous said…
Just wanted to let know I have really enjoyed reading your blog the last month or so. It is cool to read about your move from school to work. I'll finish my AS paramedic next spring. I too work in a small area (we don't even have one traffic light). Great to see other rural providers out there.

http://www.ruralfiremedic.blogspot.com
Anonymous said…
I have fun reading your humorous posts!!

Miss ya,
Pat

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs