Wait. There's more in England than London?

I'll apologize in advance for my spelling and the length of this entry. And, for the record, I knew there was more to see than London. (the outskirts have ambulances too!) We have been to several places outside of London. After my last entry we visited Westminster Abbey so that we could catch up with all of our friends: Chaucer, Darwin, Newton, Oliver Cromwell, and some kings and queens. Now, unless you’re very unorthodox, you’re sitting down already, but Mom, Dad, and I flew the eye. Unbelievable, yes. (well, only if you really know us, actually) It’s quite a feat, believe me. This was awesome to say the least, ‘Flying’ above London at about 500 feet. Then we visited the British Museum. This is a vast and frustrating place. They have 5 million objects to see, and we had about 2 hours to do it. Impossible. But, we saw the Rosetta Stone, The Marbles ‘acquired’ from the Parthenon in Greece, a statue from Easter Island, plus a ton of other stuff.

We also visited Shakespeare’s birthplace and burial place. Look at any sidewalk. That could be where he is buried. But it was worth the trip just for the charming town and church.

Today we visited Bath. They said it would take an hour to get through the actual Roman baths; it took us a predictable 2 (and could have been more!) This is a beautiful and charming town. Then we had lunch on the go and headed to Stonehenge. This was totally cool! I got almost giddy walking towards it. (almost) It is quite mysterious, but dates to almost 5000 years ago! We hung out here for a bit, and took way to many pictures, but hey. The largest stones weigh 40 tonnes and were apparently brought there from 20 miles away. The smaller stones came from southwest Wales, almost 240 miles away, amazing!
On the way there we saw a huge horse carved into the hillside that was put there by Alfred the Great to commemorate their victory over the Vikings. This is visible because of chalk in the soil that is the remnants of sea creatures decaying skeletons. These mountains area the ‘youngest’ in Britain, and grow at a rate of 1cm every 50 years!
It’s cool to be here with the ‘rents, Weird to visit my ‘old haunts’ with them. It seems I went on a lot of calls, and luckily my memory is not gone so I can remember to point out “I had a call there!” I still get excited every time an ambulance goes by. I’ve even cut out an article about the Emergency Care Practitioners. Apparently, they’re just now telling the public what that’s all about.

Tomorrow is our last official day in London; we’ll be visiting the National Gallery. If we can get Dad out by midnight, it will be quite a feat.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs