I just cost you 200 bucks!

I was in the city a few nights ago. My preceptor and I are talking, and he rags me for using too many alcohol preps again! He said, “You’re good at IVs, but you take too long, and you use too many alcohol wipes. You’re not gonna get an aseptic field here.” I know, I know, but I can’t help it! You practice how you play, so I’ll probably be using ‘too many preps’ forever. He is right about fast. When you need an IV, you need an IV. But, when I’m a medic, I’m going to use as many alcohol preps as I want.
For the rest of the night, I’m thinking ‘quick and dirty’ IVs.

My first call in the city that required ALS was also my first experience with the wonder drug, Narcan. We pulled up to find this guy sprawled out on the parking lot of a gas station. An engine crew was already there, bagging him. My preceptor said, okay, start a line. Wait a sec, this dude isn’t breathing! I wanna tube him! Then, as soon as I turned over his hand, I realized why he only needs an IV. He had already used his veins today, and it wasn’t to donate blood.
So, there I was kneeling on the pavement beside him. Our jump bag didn’t have a tourniquet, so we used the BP cuff (ghetto, I love it!) I started his IV, my preceptor hands me the naloxone, I pull out 2 mg and push it into the line. He’s awake before I know it…that was awesome! We get him on the cot and into the ambulance. It wasn’t his first time getting Narcan. That burns me up, I wanted to tell him “I just cost you 200 bucks!” instead, my preceptor reminded him that he would be dead if nobody had called 911. It was a pretty exciting call (for me). Later, I told my preceptor that I only used one alcohol prep. True, it was only because I was in a hurry, but his point exactly: When you need an IV, you need an IV.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs