Snow, combs, forks, and bananas.

Today I went sledding with a couple of friends for the first time at UMBC. I can't remember the last time I (slid?) and I forgot how freaking fun it is! Not only did I go sledding, but I got to use a dining hall tray (obtained from sources unknown) which I think was pretty funny. It was the most use I ever got out of one of those. It's snowing pretty heavily here now, as it has been for most of the day. If they don't call school soon, I think the commuters in my class will self destruct! Since we Marylanders are quite frightened of the snow, it's likely school will be closed again tomorrow. (yay! more time to...uh...study, yeah, that's it.)
So, my Mom said that my blog was "boring" so I decided to put in a couple amusing things from my first city shift.

Call #1 was for a woman who had no real chief complaint but she was using her hair to store a big, red comb. (no, the call was not for a foreign object in the hair.) I guess you never know when you'll need a comb, asap. Other women go digging in their purses, hair flying everywhere, when she just has to reach up and start combing, easy! I'm inspired. I'm keeping my toothbrush in my mouth, my cell phone strapped to my face, my comb in my hair, I'll be so efficient! When we got to the hospital, one of the nurses suggested to the patient that she keep her brush in there too. (ah, Baltimore.)
Later, we got a call just as we were sitting down to dinner. We wrapped our plates up and packed them in the ambulance for later consumption. En route to the call, My preceptor calls back to me: "You bot yeb lark?" "What?" I replied. "I said, did you bring your fork!" Oh, yes, I had brought it, but imagine, I thought he was asking me something important pertaining to the call, silly me. Lesson here: prioritize.
Our last call was for a man with, what you could call an "adipose surplus." He had become increasingly lethargic and just plain out of it over the last two days. We knew this because his wife had taken serial polaroids of him throughout the day. (can you say creepy?!) Later we discovered that he was on so many prescribed narcotics that it was amazing that he could function at all, let alone eat the 7+ bananas that his wife had fed him throughout the day. Wow, yucky.

Well, that's all for now, next week (if it stops snowing) I start my ER rotation and do 2 more city clinicals. Hilarity should ensue!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Why do you want it to stop snowing? Things get really weird in the snow!

You think Marylanders are scared of the snow? I once went to a conference in Houston TX and found that less than an inch of snow shut down a city the size of Rhode Island.
Anonymous said…
no school tomorrow (today)? yeah right, UMBC never closes unless its still coming out of the sky. they dont give a damn about the commuters!
Anonymous said…
I am also a medic student, In Hudson Valley area of NY state. I was doing an ER rotation last week and got the best chief complaint ever!

" I can't find somone to stalk "

poor guy. life would be good if only he could find a suitable stalkee.

b
Anonymous said…
I won't tell you where I keep my comb!
Anonymous said…
I think I would have self destructed if we didn't get some time off from school...and I don't even commute!!!

P.S. Anyone ever tell you you're a nut???

Popular posts from this blog

Well, Well, Well

Dueling Blogs